Thursday 9 October 2008

'Eyewitness Auschwitz; Three Years in the Gas Chambers' by Filip Muller


RRP: $12.99 Pages: 171 Paperback Non-fiction


This book really did make me cry. A lot. My husband told me to stop reading it and I told him that I couldn't - its our duty to remember these atrocities so that we can help to prevent them reoccuring in the future. Now I have my daughter, I can really empathise with those mothers who had to undress their children knowing that they were undressing them to go into the gas chambers and face death.


This is an emotional story told by one of the Sonderkommando (one of the workforce made up of prisoners) of the Auschwitz crematoria...


Filip Muller came to Auschwitz with one of the earliest transports from Slovakia in April 1942 and began working in the gassing installations and crematoria in May. He was still alive when the gassings ceased in November 1944. He saw multitudes come and disappear; by sheer luck he survived. Muller is neither a historian nor a psychologist; he is a source - one of the few prisoners who saw the Jewish people die and lived to tell about it. 'Eyewitness Auschwitz' is thus one of the key documents of the Holocaust.


Rating - 10 out of 10 - I can't recommend this enough. Filip Muller writes with compassion and sticks to the facts - what he saw and no embellishments.

No comments: